Probiotic Yeast: Saccharomyces Boulardii
Saccharomyces Boulardii is a probiotic yeast with proven health benefits. It’s a recognized probiotic that is said to help with diarrhea, IBS, Chron’s disease, and other gastrointestinal problems. Saccharomyces cerevisiae boulardii is the formal name for this subspecies of Saccharomyces cerevisiae (baker's yeast). Various probiotics use S. boulardii. Some have added prebiotics in them while others contain mixtures of probiotic bacteria.
Benefits of S. boulardii
- Anti-inflammatory: It prevents inflammation of the gut lining, thus improving its function
- Antibacterial: Prevents harmful bacteria from reproducing
- Anti-toxin: Stops infectious bacteria from making toxins that cause illness
- Immune health: Helps regulate the immune responses
- Microbiome-friendly: It supports a healthy microbiome
- Nutrients: It makes the gut healthier by restoring short-chain fatty acid production.
Saccharomyces boulardii works primarily to protect your gut from inflammation. It also promotes the growth of good bacteria in the gut, boosts immune function, and prevents pathogens from infecting your gut and making you sick.
Studies have shown that infection also causes harm to the good bacteria, but S. boulardii can help restore the balance by producing short-chain fatty acids that keep the gut healthy.
Different S. boulardii probiotic strains
- boulardii + MOS: It contains S. boulardii and Mannam-Oligosaccharides (MOS), a type of complex carbs. MOS are prebiotics that provide foods for friendly bacteria. They can also inhibit harmful bacteria such as E. coli and Salmonella and enhancing Lactobacillus levels in the gut for optimum health.
- boulardii Iyo CNCM I-745: This strain helps stabilize the gut microbiome and prevents diarrhea caused by dysbiosis. Its main contribution to the gut is helping the beneficial bacteria make short-chain fatty acids.
Proven benefits of taking probiotic supplements with S. boulardii
- boulardii treatment is beneficial in treating these gastrointestinal infections:
- pylori: Taking this supplement may help reduce the side effects associated with standard triple therapy for H. pylori infection.
- Antibiotic-associated diarrhea: Taking this can help treat and prevent antibiotic-induced diarrhea.
- Traveler’s diarrhea: Taking this probiotic supplement in advance and routine while traveling can help prevent Traveler’s diarrhea.
Potential benefits of taking probiotic supplements with S. boulardii
- Chron’s disease: Patients in remission may benefit from using this to prevent relapse.
- IBS: boulardii can improve IBS and diarrheal symptoms.
- difficile infections: Taking this probiotic supplement in conjunction with antibiotics can reduce the recurrence of C. difficile infection.
- Ulcerative colitis: Patients who have trouble with steroid medications showed benefit from it in a small study.
- boulardii is a popular probiotic yeast that is especially good at treating diarrhea. One major benefit of this probiotic yeast is that it supports the beneficial bacteria, which is good for your digestion and overall health.