Lactobacillus gasseri or L. gasseri is a probiotic bacterium that is naturally found in the urinary, genital, and digestive systems. It is also found in breast milk, dairy product, and fermented foods. L. gasseri is very important, as it serves many functions in the body. But what makes it a very talked-about strain in the past few years is its connection with weight loss and obesity. Among all the probiotic bacteria studied to date, L. gasseri appears to have the most positive effects on weight loss.
What is Lactobacillus gasseri?
- gasseri is a strain of the genus Lactobacillus. It’s one of the several strains of lactobacillus which include L. acidophilus, L. rhamnosus, L. infante, and several others. L. gasseri is a lactic acid bacterium widely investigated for its various potential health benefits. These include bacteriocin production, antimicrobial properties, and boosting the immune system. It is often used for treating and preventing diarrhea due to antibiotic treatment. Also, it helps boost the vaginal health of women and eases discomfort caused by menstruation in those women with endometriosis.
What are the potential benefits of L. gasseri?
- Management of weight loss:
Several studies have shown that L. gasseri helps reduce abdominal visceral fat, body fat mass, and waist and hips circumference. The result suggested that L. gasseri could be used as a treatment of obesity. It could also have beneficial effects on metabolism.
- gasseri is the only strain with a very documented research that supports weight loss and controlled obesity. Even so, more and more research is still needed to determine the exact role of L. gasseri in weight loss.
- Vaginal health:
It is well known that L. gasseri helps promote vaginal health by inhibiting the growth of harmful bacteria and fungi in the vagina. However, diet alone may not be enough protection against serious vaginal infection. To help safeguard you from this infection, you need to take probiotic supplements.
- gasseri may also help lessen menstrual pain among women with endometriosis. Those who take it for at least 12 weeks experience less severe menstrual pain.
- Protection against H. pylori infection
- pylori is a bacterium known to cause stomach ulcers. According to studies conducted, L. gasseri along with L. acidophilus and antibiotics can eradicate the rate of infection of H. pylori.
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- gasseri exerts anti-inflammatory effects in the colon and this can significantly reduce the symptoms of bowel disease such as IBD and IBS. L. gasseri together with S. boulardii can reduce the recurrence of IBD and IBS.
- Aids digestion and supports digestive health
- gasseri is a probiotic that contributes to digestive health. It also aids in microbial balance by promoting healthy gut flora while reducing bad bacteria.
- Boost fat metabolism
- gasseri helps convert fat into energy by influencing the hormone leptin. Leptin, the satiety hormone helps control the sensation of hunger and fullness to help curb down the appetite while boosting the metabolism.
- Enhancing the immune response
Probiotic supplements help curb the symptoms of allergies. L. gasseri helps improve allergen-induced airway inflammation in allergic asthma by enhancing the immune response.